Sunday, May 8, 2011

Late Night Soccer Games

I’m sitting here watching the Manchester United vs. Chelsea game at 2 am after the completion of my usual janitorial duties at Moreton Bay Sports Club, and decided it would be a good idea to update my blog now that we have started games up again.

However, I’d like to start out by saying happy Mother’s Day to all of the mothers that are reading. I wouldn’t have been able to pursue a career as a professional soccer player without the love and encouragement that my mother has always given me. Also, happy 6-month anniversary to my sister Katie and her husband Eddie.


But on to more important matters, the resumption of league fixtures after a 2-week break.Things have gotten pretty bad down here in Australia in the last two weeks, the weather has deteriorated so much that we had rain for 5 straight days and the temperature is only reaching the mid 70’s! I’m really concerned that I might get the flu or something from the cold weather, actually, the only unfortunate occurrence (other than it no longer being pineapple season) was the public distribution of this ridiculous picture of my roommate, Pat McMahon and myself that was taken for an article written about us in the local paper.

The other interesting development is my changing diet over the past few weeks. I already mentioned my love affair with iced coffee, but I have begun to notice that vegetables are making a startlingly frequent appearance in all of my meals recently, not to mention I have started to cook myself stir-fry. That’s right me, taking the time to cook a meal for myself that is much more vegetable than protein. I apologize to anyone who has wagered on me eventually reaching the 400-pound club.

We played 4th place Redlands last night, which are having a pretty good season so far and have a very talented side. Since it had been 3 weeks to the day since our last game I was expecting us to come out sluggish, but we came out firing and dominated the opening 25 minutes, although we had nothing to show for it, hitting 2 posts and having 2 headers cleared off the line. We ended up finding the back of the net twice before halftime but then conceded a late goal, going into the break 2-1 up. We were confident talking things over at half and knew that if we put the next goal away we could easily rattle off three or four more. We ended up doing just that winning the game handily 6-1. I netted the 4th goal, making my goal tally 6 from 8 games. I have no idea what’s going on but somehow I’m just finding myself in good spots and the ball is coming to me, so I hope it continues because scoring this many goals is a lot of fun.

I hope everyone has/ had a good mother’s day and I’ll be sure to update everyone again soon.

I Love you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment