Friday, February 4, 2011

First Day in Australia


Welcome to my blog!

I decided to publish this blog after numerous requests from people as an easy way to keep track of my adventures while I am Down Under. So I hope that I will be able to keep everyone up to date with what is going on with my soccer career and my experiences in Australia. I intend to post a new blog at least every other week depending on how busy I am or how exciting my travels are.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for those who have helped me along my way as a soccer player and person. My parents and sisters have always been supportive of my dream to play professional soccer and I know that I am fortunate to have a family like mine. In my soccer career I have had the opportunity to compete with and against many great athletes and I know that each and every one of them has a hand in where I am today, and my coaches have pushed me to become a better soccer player every training session. So to everyone, my family, friends, teammates, coaches, and everyone else, Thank you! Every person has left their mark on me and helped bring me to where I am today.

And on to Australia....

As most everyone knew February 2nd was to be the day that I began my never ending journey to Brisbane. However, mother nature decided that day was also a good time for a blizzard in Chicago and a cyclone just north of Brisbane. Touche Big Guy! So my travels have been delayed until February 5th (which is definitely a good thing considering I had about 1,800 errands to run on the 2nd to be ready to leave for 8 months). I was completely devastated that I wasn't going to be leaving on the 2nd as planned and in my frustration I wanted the earliest possible flight out, not realizing I had an easy excuse to stay home for the Super Bowl and not travel until the 7th. Idiot! But what's done is done, I was able to run all of my errands and get a few extra training sessions in the last couple days. With any luck I'll be watching the super bowl online out by my coaches pool in 85 degree weather! I really hope that happens.


From this experience I have learned a few things about myself:

1) I am an eternal procrastinator and leave everything for the last minute, because thats when I'm at my best, or so I think.

2) I shouldn't make decisions when I'm frustrated. But most importantly.....

3) Never ever, under any circumstances, travel to any place remotely tropical with me and expect good weather or to get there as planned. This trip is exhibit A and my spring break trip to Hawaii in 2006 is exhibit B. A tornado in Hawaii, really "Clouds" come on.


Anyways, I have put the Wolves team website at the bottom of the page and another blog that will probably have quicker information on the league that I play in. Robert Mays, if you even consider calling out my grammatical errors on this thing we won't be friends.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff Pat. Good luck. I'm excited to read how everything goes. I know you'll do well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick....glad you are finally there. So proud of you!!! Enjoy every moment of it. Love, Mrs. Childs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you pack muffins for the plane ride patrick??

    ReplyDelete